Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stratton, ME

Ok folks, made it to Stratton, Maine. Went over some 4000 plus foot mountains to get here and it looks like a lot more well into New Hampshire. Lightening the pack load has helped out immensely as I was able to put in two 17 plus mile days on the flats and have not been exhausted when making camp at night.

It rained last night which made the descent into Stratton precarious. I slipped 3 times on a 1.9 mile descent which took over two hours. Very dangerous stuff, the roots are the worse.

I have been using the Big Angus tent I picked up but it is very uncomfortable. This is definitely not tenting country. Most thru hikers from the south use Hennessy Hammocks with a built in rain tarp. Kind of wishing I went that route.

Anyway, still losing about a pound a day. Trying to up the calorie intake to 4000 a day. It is really becoming an issue tackling these 4K mountains.

I am pretty much hooked up with a good bunch of guys now all heading south. Things are definitely getting more intense as we approach the Maine/NH border. I hear that once through the Whites in NH, 80% of the physical effort is over. I hope so. I figure even if I do only 5 miles a day, I am through it in two weeks.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying not to get injured. It is very dangerous out here if you have not heard! :)

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow mcgrath08840 on Twitter