Thursday, July 1, 2010

Medway, ME

Finally made it to Medway after our bus stopped to pick up sixty stranded children whose bus had broken down.  There seems to be a pattern developing here. 

Anyway Ron from the Katahdin Shadows Motel was nice enough to pick us up and shuttle us to the Motel.  I say us because I now have a temporary traveling companion.  A French fellow just in from Paris named William.  He just decided to hike a week, no plan, just winging it.  I guess he will be adopting my plan for the first week anyway.  I welcome the company but communication is difficult.  I feel like I am in Dances With Wolves!

Tomorrow we enter Baxter State Park and get our first view of Mount Katahdin.  I am looking forward to getting some serious hiking in.  Till then...

3 comments:

  1. Still no word from Mike...but I have some news...after some investigation I discovered he stayed in Baxter State Park in Maine Friday and Saturday night and left the park Sunday July 4th, probably after climbing Mt. Katahdin! I was told once hikers leave the park they will enter "The Hundred Mile Wilderness" and there will be no contact until they reach Monson Maine which will pick up cell signals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the disadvantages of hiking the trail north to south is the hiker hits this section -- the most remote on the trail -- early on. And it will take longer for someone who just started out vs someone who essentially has 2000 miles of training.

    This first ~117 miles. This could take anywhere from 6 to 11 days. 15 miles per day is doable -- which is 8 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:100MilesSign.jpg

    ReplyDelete

Follow mcgrath08840 on Twitter