Friday, July 16, 2010

Monson, Maine

Ok folks, very limited to nonexistent 3g phone access out here or for that matter any cell phone access so I am using the computer at the Lakeshore Hostel in Monson to provide this update. Sorry no pictures till I can get better through put. I sent the pictures of Katahdin on July 3rd and they just posted yesterday. Will try to send some from the wilderness crossing I just made.

Anyway, when I started this trek I weighed 224 pounds. After ten days in the 100 mile wilderness I now weigh 210 pounds. At this rate I should weigh 40 pounds when I reach Springer, Georgia. Start placing your bets now on my exit weight. :)

The 100 mile wilderness was pretty wild. Each day was filled with climbing mountains,some between 2-3000 plus feet, fording streams, crossing bogs and combating biting black flies. The heat was unexpected, some days in the 90's with total humidity. Thank God there was plenty of water available.

Today I am waiting to hit the outfitters in the neighboring town to switch out the heavier gear I am carrying for light weight equipment. Every ounce makes a difference out here and I really do need to get my pack under 35 pounds and that is including food and water so we are talking minimal equipment and clothing.

I have surprisingly come across about a half dozen north bound thru hikers already. These people started in Georgia in March and have been averaging between 20 and 30 miles a day over this very mountainous terrain. Almost unbelievable when I am currently putting in around 10 miles a day. But after 2000 plus miles you should be in pretty good shape and they are carrying virtually nothing. A lesson to be learned there and one I will attempt to emulate going forward and within reason noting that I still have more then 2000 miles to go!

Stratton is the next stop which I should hit at a max in six days. Hopefully with lighter equipment I can narrow that time to four days. Till then all is well with me and I hope everyone is doing fine. Take care!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Nice report. I looked up Monson. Not much of a town! Must be beautiful up there.

    ReplyDelete

Follow mcgrath08840 on Twitter