Thursday, July 15, 2010

Made it to the top

Made it to the top ofMt. katahdin via the Hunt Trail.  Very treacherous climb with a few ledges with a good thousand foot drop.       

Lost the French guy.  He missed the taxi.

Anyway no phone access down below so after posting these pictures I will be out of touch for about ten days.

Have a great fourth of July!

NOTE: This was the first real climb of my life and in retrospect pretty funny. I did not bring nearly enough water and left my water filter in camp. Thought I was going to die getting back.

Anyway, while I was totally struggling to climb this thing I saw a guy behind me who just seemed to be floating across the rocks. He caught up to me in about fifteen minutes. An old Irishman. He looked at me crawling there across the rocks and says, "A remarkably well marked trail." Then just floats past my struggling fat butt.

Oh before I forget. The French fellow named William. I ran into him about a week later heading back north. Man that guy could hike. We spoke for a while on the trail. Turns out he was the real deal. No way I would have been able to keep up with him. At this point in my life I was still very distrusting of strangers. You get over that real fast on the trail. Everyone is pretty damn cool out there. Most down to earth and honest folks I ever met.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow mcgrath08840 on Twitter