Sunday, July 21, 2013

Boiling Springs Lake & Bear Sighting

About 2 miles before this green sulfuric lake I rounded a bend in the trail and ran into my fifth and biggest bear of the trip.  This big, golden brown black bear was at least a 500 pounder and was jumping up and down on a log.

I was acutely aware that the day before I had mailed my bear spray home.  What luck?

I somewhat kept my cool, knowing I was completely defenseless in the face of the biggest bear yet who was in total hunting mode.

I went for the camera but have to admit to intentionally making to much noise.  The bear heard me and took off like a bat out of hell, much to my relief.

Later that night, two dear circled me all night like Indians circling a wagon train.  I lighted them up, yelled at them but they wouldn't leave.  Needless to say, after my first bear encounter, momma bear, and the earlier one that day I didn't get much sleep that night.

I later heard the dear are after the salt in human urine

Anyway hear is the mileage out of Chester to Dunsmuir.(25, 20, 35, 31, 30 & 33).  Had to walk almost the whole way down Interstate 5 to get to Dunsmuir.

A guy in a hippie like van passed me and I swear my immediate thought was if a hippie won't pick you up you're screwed!  You're walking it all.

A few minutes later I saw the same van driving down the other side of the interstate and I waved.  I knew I was saved.  Wish I got his name.  He came around and picked me up and took me to the supermarket in Dunsmuir.  Not a hippie, (unless he wants to be), a good guy and thanks again for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow mcgrath08840 on Twitter