Monday, September 6, 2010

Forced March

What a day.  Did 23.3 miles today the last five being a forced night march into Dalton.  I was planning on doing 18 miles to the Crystal Mountain Campsite but when I got there I found the spring dried up.  There was no water anywhere so I had to hike another five miles to Dalton.  Needed to use my head lamp for the last two miles.  Very glad the trail was well marked.  It would be easy to get lost otherwise.

This was a big day.  Mt. Greylock is the largest mountain in Massachusetts and was a steep climb heading south, about 3000 feet total and another thousand coming out of Cheshire.

The feet took another beating and I now have a cut on my right little toe from rubbing the boot.  I disinfected it with neosporin and will tape it in the morning.

Today was the last of the big mountains.  I should be able to start nocking out twenty mile days regularly.  I will need to start carrying a full load, one gallon, of water at all times.  The only reliable water sources now are the major streams and ponds.  Many of the NOBO's have told me water is scarce from here through Pennsylvania.  Being short water is no fun at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow mcgrath08840 on Twitter